Transportation in Tahiti
How to travel to Tahiti?
Several airlines operate to French Polynesia and land at the Tahiti-Faaa International airport (PPT)
Air Tahiti Nui
Air Tahiti Nui is the French Polynesian flag carrier. It operates direct flights from :
- France – Paris Charles de Gaulle (with a technical stop in Los Angeles): 4 to 7 flights per week.
Air Tahiti Nui also has special rates agreements with the main French and European cities. Please ask our travel experts for more information.
- The United States (Los Angeles) : 4 to 8 flights per week
- Japan (Tokyo) : 2 flights per week
- New Zealand (Auckland) : 2 to 3 flights per week
Baggage policy (per passenger)
– Moana Economy Class : One 50 lbs/23 kg checked baggage – Combined dimensions per piece : 62″ / 158 cm + One 22lbs/10kg carry-on baggage per passenger
– Poerava Business Class : Two 70 lbs/32 kg checked baggage – Combined dimensions per piece : 62″ / 158 cm + One 22lbs/10kg carry-on baggage per passenger
Since May 2018, the brand new low-cost French airline offers regular flights from Paris Orly to Tahiti aboard its Airbus A350-900 and A330-300.
- France – Paris Orly (with a technical stop in San Francisco): 2 flights per week.
Useful information before heading to the airport:
Classes : Economy & Premium
Cabin setting : 3-4-3 in economy class, 2-3-2 in premium class
Baggage policy (per passenger)
– Economy Class : One 50 lbs/23 kg checked baggage – Combined dimensions per piece : 62″ / 158 cm + One 26lbs/12kg carry-on baggage
– Business Class : Two 50 lbs/23 kg checked baggage – Combined dimensions per piece : 62″ / 158 cm + One 26lbs12kg carry-on baggage
Special meals are available upon request.
Other airlines operating to Tahiti
• Air France from Paris Charles de Gaulle and Los Angeles
• Air New Zealand from Auckland
• LATAM from Santiago de Chile
• Hawaiian Airlines from Honolulu
• Air Calin from New Caledonia (Nouméa)
Inter island transportation
With a territory as wide as Europe, air transportation is the most practical and fastest way to travel in remote islands and archipelagoes from Tahiti.
However, boat transportation between the islands has improved, especially in the Leeward islands where it is now possible to discover the islands at one’s own pace.
Air Tahiti operates regularly scheduled flights out of Tahiti over a network of 47 islands and atolls.
The airline company has also implemented inter island passes which allows anyone to benefit from special fares for any combination of islands : Bora Bora Pass, Lagoon Pass…
Our travel experts will include in your package the best possible offers.
So as to ensure a safe and comfortable travel, Air Tahiti limits the number, weight and size of the checked baggage allowed on its operated flights. Besides, your baggage allowance may vary, based on your departure airport and destination.
For most islands, your complimentary checked baggage allowance is the following :
- Maximum weight allowed :50lbs/23kg per person.
- Maximum dimensions: Combined dimensions (length + width + height) < 150 cm
In addition to that, you can carry-on baggage allowance is :
- 1 carry-on baggage per person
- Maximum dimensions : 45 x 35 x 20 cm
- Maximum weight : 11 lbs/5 kg
Catamaran and ferry boats cross several times a day between Tahiti and Moorea
The Aranui, a cargo and cruise ship also operates spectacular cruises in the Marquesas islands.
Transportation on the islands
On the island of Tahiti, buses and taxis are available for those who do not have a car. Car rentals are also easily found on the main islands.
You will still be able to get on the typical local “trucks”. According to the islands, biking or riding a horse are also very convenient and pleasant options.
On the Tuamotu islands, the boat is the most practical way of transportation especially to go from one “motu” (small islet) to another.
Welcome to Tahiti! When organizing your trip , you can choose between 2 types of transfer : The standard (or regular) transfer or the private one.
As far the standard transfer go, a guide will welcome you with a flower lei, give and explain to you your travel documents (vouchers, itinerary, etc….) upon your arrival at Tahiti International airport. With this option, all guests must be present before going to the hotel by van.
For the private transfer, there is no waiting time! You’ll be immediately transfered to your hotel with a private car. Of course, all documents will be given to you before.
Depending of the islands, all transfers are operated either by one of our service providers or directly by the hotel.